Saké Restaurant & Bar, The Rocks

Thursday, June 23, 2016



✨ Hello all! ✨

The beginning of this week was a really great day! Not because of that ~*satisfying*~ Game of Thrones episode hehe, but because:

1. I finished my last exam for the semester 
(for the subject I hated most as well)!

and…

2. IT WAS MY 21ST BIRTHDAY 🎉🎉🎉

Yay!!!! It's a little bit unfortunate having your birthday on a Monday since it's the beginning of everyones working week but still one of my favourite girlies, Vanessa of Monochrome Tales (check them out here) took me out after our exam and treated me to fancy Japanese fine dining at Saké Restaurant & Bar at the Rocks. 

Of course I didn't know where we were headed on the walk here so after being bombarded with all her amazing presents it was ANOTHER total surprise and I felt so special!




There is a quiet, classy and chill bar at the entrance; so gorgeous but Vanessa lead us to the back where the restaurant was and she had managed to get a reservation!


The feel of the place is so modern, cosy and almost romantic. 
It is scattered with decorations reminiscent of Japanese culture.



We were initially seated at the sushi bar but managed to move to a more communal table


They even had some traditional Japanese dining tables!

But I quite enjoy my back support on normal chairs hehe


Ain't she a beauty! 💖

Vanessa (the secret foodie) had already done some prior research on what was good to eat at Saké so she did all of the ordering. She still had exams on so we held off on having any sake or wine. Came to Saké and did not order any saké 😂

The service was really lovely here. All of the waiters, waitresses are very friendly, helpful, attentive and patient. I also love how they notice whenever my water has reached half way and I can see them power-walking across the room towards us hehe isn't that wonderful.

However they might even be too attentive because they cleared plates away so quickly. I had to quickly grab the salad leaves which was being used as a base for the dishes because it was something I wanted to eat and they don't wait!

Popcorn shrimp tempura w/ creamy spicy sauce $21
- This came out first and it was BEAUTIFUL!
- The tempura coating under all that sauce retains a slight crunch
- The spicy mayonnaise sauce is oh so creamy, rich and more-ish
- There is also some sort of citrus spread over the shrimp and it's slightly refreshing against all the mayo

S Express: sushi maki w/ scallops, spicy mayo, cucumber, seared salmon, witlof and sweet sauce $23
- The scallop and seared salmon combo surprisingly worked out really nicely
- The salmon didn't seem that seared but it was still very yum!
- A delicious roll! I didn't expect the witlof to be sooo bitter but nothing a little soy sauce and wasabi can't help haha

Alaskan King crab maki w/ avocado, cucumber and tobiko $20
- Another delicious sushi roll! So generous on the tobiko
- I just actually think this one is overpriced for real though

At the front: Brined pork belly robata w/ braised daikon $12 for 2
- FAV OF THE NIGHT by Vanessa and I!
- The pork belly was so so so surprisingly tender 
- As we poked the pork with our forks our eyes met with some slight tears because of how soft, tender and delicious it was
- The daikon was so soft as well which isn't really my thang but that's okay because the ratio of pork to daikon was like 4:1
- Came with a generous heap of spring onions, yum!
- Such a winner, such a winner!

Short rib robata w/ spring onion and akamiso $18 for 2
- Listed as one of the "Saké classics" on the menu and the most expensive robata, we expected this to be the best of the best
- The presentation of this is pretty neat I've got to admit
- Unfortunately this was really... the least favourite
- While the meat certainly did "melt in the mouth" it tasted extremely slimy, fatty, and worst of all, cold!!
- The sauce glazed over it did it no justice as well and in my opinion it made it worst. It was a fairly tangy, sour and sweet sauce which didn't go well with the texture or taste of the meat at all
- I don't know what akamiso is but if it's the red thing, it was spicy on its own.. just unfortunately added no overall taste
- We reaaaally wanted to like this but we just didn't :'(


Feeling surprisingly full at this point, I was about to pack up to leave until Vanessa mentioned 
"We have one more dish left!"

THE ONE MAIN DISH WE ORDERED:


Chicken Teriyaki w/ bok choy and spring onions $29
- The above is whats listed on the menu but this clearly has no spring onions, and also the addition of some lotus root chips and radishes (not complaining though) ~
- The chicken looked pretty dry and standard but when we ate it, it was pleasantly tender!
- The teriyaki in my opinion could've been more sweeter and saltier as it was quite bland and subtle
- Good bok choy, good lotus root chips but those radishes were so dry and flavourless (WHY)


I was so full and satisfied at this point, ready to head out again when Vanessa suddenly said something to the waiter who then cleared our table and placed some spoons in front of us…

???

TA-DAHHHHH!

The Dragon Egg dessert!!!

Dragon Egg w/ dark chocolate, passionfruit and mango $20

View our "ugly cracking" video from my Instagram below:


SaveSaveSaveSave



So unfortunately ours didn't crack beautifully and split out four ways but in the end it was still delicious!

I've honestly got to admit chocolate isn't my go-to (although if you put it in front of me, I WILL eat it), but this was perfection! I love how the citrus and fruit flavours contrast with the bitterness of the dark chocolate. I've read various reviews to find out what is exactly inside the egg but in the end I remain confused. All I remember is the chocolate crumble base, passionfruit chips and curd, chocolate mousse, and people say there is a mango caramel but honestly I thought it was lemon (maybe due to the overpowering passionfruit).


Overall, my experience at Saké was super delightful! I would definitely recommend it to you all to come visit some time and I have very little complaints, however it didn't stand out enough to be raved about in my opinion. Nonetheless it's a great place and I had a lovely birthday dinner there. 


❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much Vanessa!!!! ❤️❤️❤️




TL;DR:
Price: Expensive
Service: Friendly and attentive!
Quality: Very fresh, and well cooked/made
Ambience: Intimate but too noisy when it gets busy


Saké Restaurant & Bar
12 Argyle St,
The Rocks NSW 2000

Saké Restaurant & Bar Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe