The Mandoo, Strathfield

Sunday, August 06, 2017


The Mandoo (which translates to "The Dumpling") stands at the corner that once housed one of Strathfield's many froyo places, the particular name of this place which now escapes my mind. However I have such fond memories of hanging here in Year 12 after school that it kind of made me sad to acknowledge the new restaurant in its place. 

The very first time I ate here was very recent. I remember I was speed-eating a whole bowl of cold kimchi noodles by myself. And thoroughly impressed with how delicious it was, it was to no hesitation that I ushered my girls Anne-mary and Terry into the place on a winters night. Which I think we should all know ended up being such a fateful night despite how it began... with those two forgetting to pick me up to a party that I invited them to.


The whole place is very small and cramped and the only table we could get was by the door where people somehow forget to shut it on their way in and out. However in its own way, the busy atmosphere and proximity to the kitchen has a certain charm about it. Like you just know the food is going to be fresh and delicious.

We were all starving to death and even though the menu is quite small, we felt quite overwhelmed with choices. This was my first time eating Korean dumplings and I was told they're very large and filling so we ordered a few of those as well as a bowl of noodles to share.


Deep Fried Pork Dumplings (5pc) $12

Ain't no comfort food like fried food. We couldn't go past without trying the fried dumplings and I'd say its the perfect accompaniment to the steamed dumplings and noodles. These are quite large (almost the size of my hand), flat and extremely crispy. Not too oily at all. The perfect golden brown colour all over makes me so excited to pick one up and bite right into it. The filling is piping hot - a mixture of ground pork with noodles. I loved these topped with pickled white radish and dipped in the vinegary soy sauce! A little bit expensive but we enjoyed these down to the last bite.



Prawn Dumpling (4pc) $13

A while back, Vanessa recommended these dumplings to me as she told me they were so huge and contained the whole prawn. And she was not lying. These dumplings are indeed really big and contain the whole prawn. It's not chopped up or minced or anything, it's just draped over the dumpling filling and ready to go. I thought these were so good and definitely recommend it! 




Kimchi with Pork Bun Dumpling (4pc) $12

This was my favourite 'dumpling' of the lot! Because when I clearly expected it to taste like the sweet, white Banh Bao dough - it was completely different. Dense yet light, and slightly chewy the Korean buns are without a doubt unique. I really enjoyed the texture although the filling was a little more disappointing. While nothing wrong with it, I found it on the bland side and completely lacking in kimchi flavour although the colour and vegetable was all there. 



Spicy Cold Noodle (aka Bibim Naengmyeon) $12

Had some discussion with the servers over this. Terry was looking to order the spicy cold noodles that came with the chilli paste and very little/no soup. Turns out it's a very simple difference on the menu. If you're after that, order the spicy cold noodles - not the spicy cold noodle soup. FYI! 

Anyway these were delicious and not to alarmingly spicy at all! There was a bit too much soup in it for our tastes but still enjoyed overall. 



And finally this is the noodles I was talking about at the beginning of my post:


Kimchi Cold Noodle Soup $13

So delicious!!! It's probably the best cold noodle soup I've had in a long while where I don't think it's too sweet, to mellow or too tangy. There are satisfying cuts of pickled radish and kimchi and half a hard boiled egg. This place seems to always be busy so if they forget to give you scissors, don't be afraid to ask! It's an essential! 


I am 100% going to dine at The Mandoo again. Let me know below if you have any recommendations or how your experience was when you went! Thank you for reading! xx





TL;DR:
Price: Everything under $15
Quality: Fresh, hand-made, excellent
Service: Average, can be a bit rushed but efficient nonetheless
Ambience: Small and cramped corner with very busy atmosphere


The Mandoo
12A The Boulevarde,
Strathfield NSW 2135

Open 7 days a week

11AM - 9PM

The Mandoo Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe